Magical Thoughts

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Interview With Latina Poet Luivette Resto

My guest today is Puerto Rican poet Luivette Resto. Although Luivette, born in Aguas Buenas, Puerto Rico, she grew up in the Bronx. She graduated from Cornell University with a Bachelor of Arts in English Literature and in the U.S. Latino Studies minor. Later she received her MFA in Creative Writing at the University of Massachusetts in Amherst. Currently she teaches German at Citrus College and MT. San Antonio College. Their poems were in Latino publications such as Today, mija Magazine, Harpur palate, the oven Review, and Falling Star Magazine. They recently published her first collection of poetry entitled Unfinished Portrait.

Thanks to my guest today, Luivette. Do you consider yourself a poet born?

Not necessarily. I wanted different professions (lawyer, stewardess, podiatrist) before realizing that poetry was something I wanted.

Send us your creative process when you write a poem. When he comes in a glittering spark of inspiration, or does it boil in your head for a while before they are placed on the page?

I think it is a combination of both. I do get ideas for poems and write the idea on the page. Then I go back to my computer and try to flush the entire poem. Some poems have given me years. It takes a while until I really feel like the poem is.

You hear all the time about the need for writers to be disciplined and show on the page daily. If the same holds true for the poet?

Absolutely. As a writer your best work and, if you are in the process of a manuscript you want each poem to which it can do best. That is why the revision is integral.

Describe your path to publication. Is it a tough jungle out there for the poet?

I'm still new to everyone, but my experience was rather standard. It takes about a year for a writer who actually work on a book shelf. It is a tough industry for poets, because poetry does not tend to sell as well as fiction. But most of the poets that I know do not choose life, because the money is. We do it because we really enjoy the creativity.

What types of books have you read? Do you have any favorite authors?

Ironically, I tend to read much fiction. Some of my favorite fiction authors are Julia Alvarez, Michele Serros, Helena Viramonte, Toni Morrison and Junot Diaz. As a poet, I enjoy Martin Espada, Julia de Burgos, Walt Whitman, and Dorothy Parker.

What tips would you offer aspiring poets?

order in writing. Do not stop if you feel the urgency to create.

What's on the horizon for you?

I am writing new poems with the hope that they could in the second book.

Thanks, Luivette, and good luck with your work!

 

Mayra Calvani is the National Latino Books Examiner for Examiner.com. Visit her at http://www.examiner.com/x-6309-Latino-Books-Examiner

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Mayra_Calvani

0 comments:

"Magical Template" designed by Blogger Buster