Magical Thoughts

Friday, March 20, 2009

Painting Cacti

This is my fourth winter, the life in the desert of Yuma, Arizona. I love the rugged mountains, but? Cacti are what really fascinates me. ? They are certainly a lot of fun to paint.

Our yard is a desert landscape? Rock with many different types of cacti. ? In? In our region there are hundreds of varieties of cacti, which in many shapes, sizes and colors. Even the prickly thorns are different lengths and colors with different cluster types.

I often paint pictures I have taken. Light produces a variety of colors, depending on what time of day you take the picture so many different effects.

I have painted cactus using watercolor and acrylic paints. The thorns are a challenge because it is based on such subtleties. Sometimes they are dark and at other times very bright - colors vary. If you are a watercolor watercolor pencil can be used. With acrylic, I use water to thin the paint? And then? A thin brush rigger.

cacti are very suitable for different size frames instead of the standard 16 x 20 or 20 x 24-inch frame. 16 x 26 and 18 x 24-inch frames are different sizes, I have a lot of success. Of course, the desert is spectacular and the strong Gila Mountains provide a spectacular backdrop. A baby cactus in the middle of the proximity of the mother may be of interest and diversity. I look forward to spring each year when the cactus begins to bloom. Although the blooms on the majority of cacti lasts only for a day, each variety has different size, shape and color, the wonderful flower painting opportunities.

These are the reasons why I love to paint cacti.

 

One painting I did shows the blooms of a cacti from the beginning to the end. Accordingly I titled it "Beginning and End"

I invite you to visit my website at Maren's Creations to view my fine art paintings, art prints, and greeting cards

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Maren_Waddill

0 comments:

"Magical Template" designed by Blogger Buster