Magical Thoughts

Friday, August 15, 2008

Nostalgic Flashback Of The 1950s Era

Since I grew up in 1950-it is fun for me to think about some

the nice things during this era.

Drive in theatre

Known then as "passion pit" Drive in Theatres bring back

many happy memories!

My birthday is in July was the primary responsibility for the season Drive in

films. I urge all my friends about my celebrate

birthday complete with homemade sandwiches my mother's barbecue was my favorite.She it would rump roast into slices and then lay the meat in an electrical good, smothered in barbecue sauce. Shortly before dark we would all pile into the car and drive for the drive in. I still remember the break jingle "Let's all go to the lobby" with the hot dog, soda drinking and dancing popcorn on the screen.

the Drive in was the favorite place to go on a date and the after-effects

the show, we would go to the Steak n Shake for a hamburger,

fries.

At that time, you are in your car and your food was brought

. A tablet owner was on the driver-side window to the food. It was only brought to my attention by my teenage grandchildren that "Going Steady" is no longer used.

I asked them what do you call it now? They said only "go

out. "makes no sense for me, but that is how the times change. Back in the 50's and 60's, if you were" going steady ", the girl would be her friends ring to carry. There were always too big to fit, we would wrap the back with white tape association and then cover that with fuzzy angora yarn in different colors .. way too cool!

The only place you could buy the angora in my city was a

department store in the city, and I can still remember that they did

not have cash registers on the counter, but the office

would send your money through a vacuum tube, to top

the cashier. It was similar to the drive in

Bank tube that is used today.

rock n roll

The summer 1955 with Bill Haley's song "Rock Around the Clock"

changed the music we heard forever. I was addicted.

Then came Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry, Fats Domino, and

The rest is history. Every Saturday I would walk to the city centre

Lindstrom's record shop and listen to the latest hits and always

come home with at least one new 45th In my bedroom next to my bed

was my radio that I hear every night just to hear the

latest songs. Radio was back then and I am only in the night with

less interference in the airwaves I could a station

Little Rock was about 600 km from where I lived. The

commercial, that I will never forget, it was the White Rose

jelly. I was so excited the night I heard the song "Sea

Cruise "that I ran down to Lindstrom's to buy them only to find out

, it was not yet available.

My parents were not exactly rock n roll and would say, it sounds like

noise. However, they have "put up" with him and allowed me to play

my record player as loud as it would go was not very loud

compared to today's stereo equipment. Now we have a stereo

living room, a portable stereo in the garage complete with

subwoofer, subwoofer on our computers and a subwoofer in the

car. My love for music stayed with me and the music and

equipment to play them with only more better.

clothing
� Cuffed
Bobbie socks worn with suede "buckskin" shoes or saddle

shoes came in all color combinations and styles of light

weight to the original heavy Oxford in black and white.

The sleeves were always cuffed and rolled to the girl shortly

sleeve shirts, and ended with a scarf around his neck.

wool skirts with the length in the middle of the calf with a slit

in the back. The favorite hairstyles were pony tails, and

shoulder length hair, was rolled at the ends with bangs and

usually one page. Barrettes were often used as decoration and

to hold the hair away from face. The boys typical clothing

were cuffed blue jeans with legs, a T-shirt with sleeves rolled,

or a shirt with the back of the collar turned. It has contributed

various short hair styles range from butch to slightly

more Elvis-style, was combed back and held in place with

VO5 hair dressing in a duck or tail, DA, as it was called.

Going to Church On Easter Sunday was a sight to see! All

women and young girls (including me) wore a hat adorned with

artificial flowers with white gloves.

toys and hobbies

I was not much into dolls as a child, because I prefer to

or outside explore something with my hands. The only doll

that I did enjoy for a short time, the Ginny Doll,

hidden in a cupboard, complete with all the clothes,

accessories and furniture along with a Toni dolls still in the

original box almost untouched. The Toni doll was a Christmas gift

and I was apparently at the age that they simply do not interest me

much.

Easy Bake oven, there are already 50-plus years as I was there

for Christmas when I was 8 years old and had all

cake the first night. Needless to say, I got very sick later

this night!

One of my weekly stop the city was the local hobby shop,
� Paint sold
number of products. I sit on a desk in the

SUNROOM and paint for hours. I painted a black tole Trash

and Kleenex box holder that my mother received as a gift.
� In addition
sold magic tricks, fascinates me, and I would

magic shows at home on the piano bench with a black

antique crazy quilt. Two other toys I have good memories of was the Hula Hoop and the Slinky.

Burma Shave

The old motels are now a thing of the past have been replaced

travel hotels. More room in a smaller space, but not so

convenient than the motels, where you would park in front

your room.

If our family would take car trips, we would see the Burma Shave

signs along the road and read it is loaded, as we passed them.

Do not try PASSING, on a slope unless you have a periscope, Burma-SHAVE.

If computers came along 45 years earlier, I think my life would have been very different. Well, better late than never.

 

Barbara Wangelid along with her husband Tobbe are the owners of http://www.JackandFriends.com where you can purchase vintage and retro reproduction signs, enamelware, antique labels, 1950's retro, and classic pedal cars.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Barbara_Wangelid

0 comments:

"Magical Template" designed by Blogger Buster