Magical Thoughts

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Is Art a Gift, Or Brain Damage?

Call it the parietal paradox ": patients with a variant of frontotemporal dementia, in which selective involvement of the left anterior temporal lobe, was detected exhibition suddenly the ability to amazing works of art, if not talent or even interest was documented. In other cases, experienced artists to produce images that are so striking as everything else in their entire body of work. ~ Fred Balzac

Recently on one of the TV magazines I saw a function that related brain damage (stroke) to personality changes that an unleashing of compulsive creativity. These phenomena triggered my reading and reading that the premise that the TV show. It made me wonder. It made me wonder about myself.

I am not a well-known artists. Some people call what I am doing a hobby . For me the art (poetry, the doll making, journaling, blogging, jewelry making, paper making, the novels, and all the creative things I do) is not a hobby . I feel insulted, if what I do as hobby . During May, I lack talent, and I'm vain by most measuring sticks on the ground, I think of myself as an artist. What I ask right now is the reason why. Why can I create? Why someone create? Why is my art so constantly on my head? I do not have a stroke. I'm not on any brain damage. It is entirely possible that I have some birth-defect brain has changed, that my left anterior temporal lobe, but if so, I do not know anything about that.

I remember once, in a group meeting with Lili Parish, my shrink /friend, someone in the group implied that my ability to paint pictures and write poems were "gifts". The proposal was made that some people have the gift, people and not others. I argued about this train from thought.

What I believe is that if you had so many images as I have, you would be at least as good an artist as I am, and you would probably be better. I'm not sure how many small cartoons, paintings and heavy I have done, but I would appreciate it is in the thousands. I've been drawing before I started school. Instead attention in class, I was on my notebook paper. I draw and write every day and have missed days with my art only after an operation or if overwhelmed by my daily life [as the days I spent moving to Oklahoma City from Lakeland, Florida.] In a similar way, like a child I showed zero athletic ability. I could not throw a football. I knew the guys could throw like a pro, but it was a "gift" I did not seem to have. Of course the good guys in throwing footballs have been tossing a ball around They years.

The more for doing what you do, the better you will do what you do. This was my explanation for what I did capacities, as well as the abilities of other people have, that I was not the case. I'm terrible at playing the sitar. Ravi Shankar have is a gift that I have been refused, or was he a gifted sitar player, because he spent his life playing the sitar, while I have never actually seen a person?

This logic goes a long way to explain talent, at least in my opinion. The Renaissance in Italy they do not have a lot of great ball players in history, but their culture does not care that much about a child's ability to throw. In Renaissance Italy they support the arts. So if a child was drawing on the wall, and when passing some adults found the drawing and said it looked good [for a child this age], that child would be encouraged to do more of this activity. The more the child will be promoted, praised, and called on, the more they will do whatever this positive feedback, and finally they have an artistic gift. In the 1940's, when a small child threw a rock, and it went further than a temporary adults was normal that a child that age, they would immediately think: "Baseball!"

Another behaviourist shrink /friend of mine, named James Cail, use to say, "People do what they are paid to do." What he meant by that is that you certainly can be paid with money, or just positive feedback, but if it is something from the activities they will do that activity. Vincent van Gogh. just sold a painting in his life, but that does not mean that he does not pay. There were people in his life that admires and supports and encourages his artistic activities.

But perhaps, just get positive feedback, and spending your life doing a special artistic activity is not the answer. The people on that TV show, the beatings started doing art compulsively and had no life to practice that art. She had only to suddenly artists. Their ability can be called into question. Some of the work seemed especially primitive, but then no more primitive than modern art from a hundred other accepted and admired artists.

Could it be that creativity is always linked to a certain character of the brain or stroke victims, these were only one artist Aberration, and that artistic talent is generally, and especially often the result of the ole "Practice makes perfect" kind of stuff?

Here is what I think. I would like to believe that artistic ability is not a gift. Because that is what I want to believe, I look for quotes and information, supports that view.

Why do I want to believe that artistic ability is not a gift? Because I do not feel gifted. Is it a gift, then it is possible that I will not get the gift, or that the Size of my gift is small. If art is a gift I am, that the truth. If artistic ability is developed, then there are no limits on what I could achieve artistically. Not only can I go as far as I choose to go with my art, but it would be equally true for you. Anyone and everyone could do what they wanted if they only her spirit is, they work for art, and get their interest, motivation, and while it can hardly practice.

So cracks in the brain, which can contribute to a creativity Compulsion, I still lean to the POV that artistic skills developed through the creation art.

 

Tex Norman
http://thegentlejourney.blogspot.com/
http://www.lulu.com/texnorman

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Tex_Norman

0 comments:

"Magical Template" designed by Blogger Buster